Monday 29 September 2008

This is for you.... [insert dead relative's name here]

Evil bad naughty boy O'Leary



Alright, I'm cynical and sometimes that can be misconstrued but when do I cross over into the "heartless" category?

Oh, I know; when reality show contestants start gushing out the heartbreak stories of dearly departed relatives. I am not an avid watcher of X-Factor/Pop Idol/Big Brother (in fact I've completely missed them all this year) and here's why:

I wish my mum was still alive to see me now

I promised my granddad I'd enter the competition, he made me audition but he passed away before the show began.


Yeah.... I know the stories are TRUE, I am not doubting the facts.... it's the sentiment. Everybody loses loved ones BUT that's got bollock-all to do with why we should vote for you in a kareoke contest.... or does it? This always strikes me as a shameful ploy of using personal tragedy to further your career. It has been going on for centuries because we all love a hero who has had to drag themselves up from the mud. We want champions who have had to defeat all manner of foes on their road to success. Apparently, just turning up and singing a good song will never be enough. Well I just think this I would never voice my opinion in a public forum....... oh shiiiiiiit

DERMOT O'LEARY (who may feel the same way as me) has fallen foul of expressing similar views about a certain X-Factor contestant.

X FACTOR hopeful Amy Connolly last night branded show host Dermot O'Leary a "two-faced fake".
The teenager was furious he mocked "sob stories" - after consoling her when the memory of her late Scots mum reduced her to tears during the auditions.
O'Leary, who presented The X Factor for the first time last year, made his attack on ITV2 quiz show Celebrity Juice.
He declared: "It's past 9 o'clock, I can say what I f***ing want. So, I don't care what your dream is. I don't care what you want to sing. And I don't care about your dead relative."
Now 18-year-old Amy, whose Fife-born mum Rosemarie died of cancer when she was just seven, has hit back.
Amy, whose half-brother David was also killed in a car crash just months after she lost her mum, insisted it had never been her intention to gain sympathy votes by telling her family's tragic story.
Amy will be doing everything she can to try to make it two in a row for Scotland after the win for Leon Jackson, from Whitburn, West Lothian, last year.

No comments: